Returning to Work Safely During COVID-19
With vaccines being available for people across the United States, several businesses are looking to adapt a more office-friendly approach for employees. In fact, 45% of employees feel more productive in an office setting, so providing them with the option to return to work safely could benefit those who may not prefer to continue working at home.
Here are some recommendations on how offices can return to work safely while promoting a clean and healthy work environment for employees.
Returning to Work During Coronavirus
While several employees may prefer working from home, there are benefits to getting employees back in the office. A study from the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine found that workers had decreased overall physical and mental well-being due to distractions at home, needing to care for children, a less than optimal workspace, and a lack of communication with coworkers.
The well-being of employees who may prefer to go back to the office are clear but finding a balance for those who prefer working from home is important too. For many offices, this may include offering a hybrid work schedule where workers go into the office only a couple days of the week or at their convenience. Going back to the office after COVID-19 is a persisting issue, and with the spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant, these worries are magnified. Focusing on taking adequate steps to disinfect the workplace is key.
Using office disinfection services and following appropriate safety measures for COVID-19 can help instill confidence in workers who prefer going back to the office full time or prefer a hybrid work schedule to better engage with coworkers, be more productive, and l feel safer in the workplace.
COVID-19 Guidelines at Work
There are a variety of steps that an office or workplace can take to better protect their employees that include:
- Cleaning and disinfecting high-touch areas. These areas may include light switches, desks, doorknobs, office equipment, or phones. Depending on the frequency of use and the amount of people within the workplace, it may be beneficial to disinfect these areas several times a day.
- Encouraging mask use. While vaccinated employees may feel safe, workers who choose not to get the vaccine may be at a greater risk of infection. Taking adequate steps to promote the use of masks within common areas will encourage proper safety measures for COVID-19.
- Responding to an infection in the workplace. Proper steps may be taken and anan employee may still show signs of COVID-19 infection. Responding with the proper steps to disinfect and deep clean areas where the employee may have been present could prevent an outbreak in the workplace.
- Ensure adequate circulation of air within your facility. COVID-19 is mostly spread through the air, so taking adequate steps to circulate outside air or having a proper HVAC system to continually refresh your workspace will help reassure workers about returning to work.
- Modify seating arrangements. While cubicles may have been the preferred option,, placing employees at a 6-foot distance could provide them with a safe and more productive space. Covering chairs with tape or fabric, removing chairs from the common areas, or simply spacing out desks can work well to follow proper safety protocols for COVID-19.
- Stagger employee schedules. Having different shifts or break times can help reduce congestion within the break room or other common areas.
- Encourage employees to stay home if they’re feeling sick. Some employees may be unable to work at all, while others may feel slightly under the weather. Regardless of the intensity of their symptoms, encouraging employees to stay home could prevent an outbreak in the workplace.
- Encourage proper hand washing and disinfection use. Having disinfectant at the entrance of an office and encouraging regular hand washing are not only proper etiquette but also help protect employees from spreading COVID-19 in the workplace.
Office Sanitation Services Can Keep Your Employees Safe
Reopening a business as quickly as possible is a tantalizing option for many. It’s important to do so by following official COVID-19 safety protocols. Proper sanitation and disinfection are key to reassure employees that the proper steps have been taken to protect their health. In-house cleaning teams may be unaware of how to start, so relying on cleaning experts such as ServiceMaster Clean is important.
ServiceMaster Clean has over 65 years of experience in the cleaning industry, setting a high standard for requirements in the office disinfection space and within commercial properties. We offer COVID-19 cleaning and disinfection services that follow CDC and OSHA standards to provide a clean and healthy work environment. Reassure your employees that you are taking steps to protect their health during the pandemic by trusting your cleaning and disinfection needs with professionals.
Reach out to your nearest ServiceMaster Clean location and get started now!